School Shoes are an important fit to get right as kids can take up to 16,000 steps day.
Things to look for in a good school shoe are:
- Leather upper and quality stitching to provide good durability
- Rubber sole to increase shock absorption and durability
- Leather lining to allow for breathability
- Shock absorbing midsole to protect the foot during high impact activity
- Flexible forefoot to allow for adequate bending (required by the foot when walking)
It is important to remember that just because a shoe goes on without protest doesn’t make it a good fit. Get shoes correctly fitted by shoe specialists.
It is also important not to buy school shoes too big to allow ‘growing room’ as an incorrect fit can lead to tripping and injuries, especially if the child is running around. Having said that a small amount of growing room doesn’t hurt especially if an insole is added and this can usually be fitted into the shoe at the shoe shop when purchasing.
Don’t forget that if you have any queries or concerns come and visit one of our podiatrists to have your child’s feet assessed. Early detection and treatment for childhood foot conditions can go a long way in reducing functional problems later in life.